Types of Drug Addiction in Oregon
Problems with drug addiction are often compounded by the fact that this condition can take on many different forms. Fortunately, North Coast Recovery in Astoria, Oregon, can help the residents of Astoria and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country, who are suffering from any type of drug addiction.
Common Types of Drug Addiction
The number of drugs an individual can develop an addiction to are nearly endless. Even so, there are certain categories of drugs that produce addiction more often than others. These categories are:
- Stimulants, which are substances that speed up the nervous system. Some common stimulants include cocaine, methamphetamine, and amphetamines.
- Cannabinoids, a category that includes marijuana and hashish.
- Opioids, which are now abused in epidemic proportions and include heroine, morphine, opium, and codeine.
- Depressants, substances that slow down the nervous system and help people relax. Commonly abused depressants include barbiturates, tranquilizers, and alcohol.
- Hallucinogens such as LSD or magic mushrooms.
Signs a Loved One has a Drug Addiction
When a loved one is addicted to drugs, friends and family members often realize that something is amiss, yet feel powerless to intervene. Individuals may notice extreme changes in behavior that include:
- Secretive behavior
- Unexplained financial difficulties
- Sudden outbursts of anger
- Mood swings
- Anxiety or depression
When to Seek Help
If you suspect that a loved one is addicted to drugs, do not wait to suggest help. Drug addiction problems only get worse over time, and if left untreated may lead to:
- An overdose
- Problems with the law
- Extreme financial difficulties including the loss of a home or bankruptcy
- Family problems such as divorce or the removal of children from the home
- Suicide attempts
Here at North Coast Recovery, we understand that drug addicts are not always willing to seek treatment on their own. As such, we recommend crisis intervention in instances where a person shows signs of being addicted to drugs or alcohol yet resist the idea of seeking treatment. Many times, we are able to plan an intervention in such a way that an addict is forced to face his or her problem head on. A good number of these individuals eventually go on to receive treatment.
Here at North Coast Recovery, we offer treatment for the following drug addictions:
Why Choose North Coast Recovery?
- Licensed treatment facility in the state of Oregon
- Individualized treatment plans
- Long and short-term programs available
- Gender-specific programs
- Personalized, compassionate care
Contact North Coast Recovery Today
Drug addiction is a growing problem in the United States and affects a good number of people in Astoria, Oregon, and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country. North Coast Recovery provides a wide range of treatments with a track record of effectiveness to help people overcome drug addiction. Please contact us today to find out more about how North Coast Recovery can serve you.