Signs of Alcoholism in Oregon
The fact that drinking is socially acceptable in many instances can make it difficult to know whether or not a person is an alcoholic. That’s because what may appear to be excessive drinking is often excused away as being normal. Fortunately, North Coast Recovery in Astoria, Oregon, can help the residents of Astoria and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country identify signs of alcoholism so that treatment can be recommended if needed.
What Is Alcoholism?
Put simply, alcoholism is the state of being dependent upon alcohol. As with drug addicts, alcoholics physically crave alcohol and will go to great lengths to obtain it. Serious physical and mental symptoms may result if a person is unable to drink for even just a few hours. Professional treatment is often required to help an individual beat alcoholism and lead a sober lifestyle.
Signs of Alcoholism
Just because a person regularly consumes alcohol or binge drinks occasionally does not mean that he or she is an alcoholic. However, it does mean that there is an increased risk if a woman consumes more than three drinks per day or seven in any given week. Men are considered at risk if they drink more than four alcoholic beverages each day or greater than 14 in one week. If you know someone who is at or near these levels, it is important to watch for the following signs that might indicate a person is an alcoholic:
- Regularly or frequently blacking out after drinking
- Drinking at inappropriate times, such as while at work or when driving
- Relationship problems
- Financial struggles
- Having a high tolerance for alcohol
- Lying about or hiding drinking behavior
Changes in Behavior
Those who are alcoholics are very concerned about their next drink and will go to great lengths to ensure they can have it. As such, they may avoid situations where drinking would be inappropriate. Individuals may also plan activities around drinking, for example, hosting parties or other get-togethers only at locations where they are sure that alcohol will be permitted.
Physical and Mental Symptoms of Alcoholism
An alcoholic may:
- Find it difficult to stop drinking once he or she has started
- Frequently suffer from hangovers
- Suffer withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety or “the shakes” after going without drinking for a day or more
- Have a low appetite, which can lead to excessive weight loss
- Become malnourished, as alcohol consumption can affect the way the body absorbs nutrients
Why Choose North Coast Recovery?
- Licensed treatment facility in the state of Oregon
- Individualized treatment plans
- Long and short-term programs available
- Gender-specific programs
- Personalized, compassionate care
Contact North Coast Recovery Today
Many signs of alcoholism are often overlooked or excused away when they could be used to identify individuals in need of treatment. North Coast Recovery, conveniently located in Astoria, Oregon, is a highly rated treatment facility that serves residents of Astoria and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country. Our programs provide a wide range of treatments with a track record of effectiveness to help people overcome addiction. Please contact us today to find out more about how North Coast Recovery can serve you.