Alcohol Addiction in Oregon
Alcohol addiction affects a good number of Americans who often do not even realize they have a problem until it is too late. Fortunately, North Coast Recovery in Astoria, Oregon, can help the residents of Astoria and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country determine whether or not they are addicted to alcohol so the right treatment can be provided.
What Is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction involves being dependent on alcohol in order to function. Individuals may become physically dependent and experience intense cravings when they do not have alcohol. Others may become mentally dependent, in which case, it may be difficult for them to function unless they are drinking. Many alcoholics suffer both physical and mental dependency, although they may experience one form to a greater degree than another.
Signs of Alcohol Addiction
Those who are addicted to alcohol often try to excuse away their drinking. They may tell themselves and others that they do not really have a problem and that they can quit any time they choose to. As such, it is important to look out for these warning signs that might indicate a person has an alcohol addiction:
- Having an unusually high tolerance for alcohol, requiring more and more of it to achieve the same effects. Often, an alcoholic may appear to drink excessively, yet not show any signs of inebriation.
- Drinking despite known risks, such as when operating a motor vehicle.
- Frequent binge drinking or drunk episodes.
- Spending money on alcohol before buying necessities or paying monthly living expenses.
- Lying about or covering up drinking habits.
Changes in Behavior
In addition to the above signs, certain behavioral changes can provide clues as to whether or not someone has a problem with alcohol. A few of these changes include:
- Drinking early in the day or in unusual settings, such as when alone
- Planning activities so that they revolve around alcohol or recovering from drinking
- Frequently missing work or other important obligations because of drinking
- Spending more time at bars or in social settings where alcohol is a primary focus
- Engaging in risky behavior, such as unprotected sex when drinking
Physical and Mental Symptoms of Alcohol Addiction
Many times, those with an alcohol problem know they must seek help but do not want to admit it. They may feel that doing so would show weakness and that they should try to control the problem on their own. This can lead to a number of physical and mental issues such as:
- Frequent nausea or heartburn
- Elevated blood pressure
- Loss of appetite or extreme weight loss
- Becoming easily agitated
Why Choose North Coast Recovery?
- Licensed treatment facility in the state of Oregon
- Individualized treatment plans
- Long and short-term programs available
- Gender-specific programs
- Personalized, compassionate care
Contact North Coast Recovery Today
An alcohol addiction can be serious and require professional treatment from a recovery specialist, such as those found at North Coast Recovery. Conveniently located in Astoria, Oregon, we are a highly rated alcohol addiction treatment facility that serves residents of Astoria and the surrounding communities in the Pacific Northwest and across the country. Our programs provide a wide range of treatments with a track record of effectiveness to help people overcome addiction. Please contact us today to find out more about how North Coast Recovery can serve you.